Friday, May 05, 2006

Gratitude


Writing about my birthday was a good exercise in giving space for my inner child to escape the duct tape that binds his arms, legs, and mouth. This was the first time in 25 years that I acknowledged a birthday in any way. I am grateful for the kind wishes I received in the comments and by email.

Learning to be vulnerable is, in part, learning to give space for that child to express him or herself in each of us. As we grow older we become responsible, guarded, mature, restrained, serious, and cynical (well, not all of us are cynical). But someplace inside each of us there is a child who is joyful, exuberant, open, spontaneous, wild, and free. Maybe you have access to that part of yourself -- that subpersonality -- but I and many others do not.

As I make more and more space for him to express himself, I become more and more grateful for his enthusiasm and creativity. He is curious, and he is not cynical. He is trusting and willing to take risks.

I've been missing that energy in my life over the last 25 years. I am still a long way from having full access to it, but I am grateful for the improvements that have come through mediation and working to know my subpersonalities.

What are you grateful for?


Technorati Tags: , , , , ,
Del.Icio.Us Tags: , , , , ,

No comments: