Saturday, August 05, 2006

Speedlinking 8/5/06

Today begins with a word of advice: Don't download the Google Accelerator thinking it might speed up your web experience. It actually slows things down considerably. Probably because they are collecting so much personal information on you.

That said, there's lots of fun stuff to read this morning.

~ Justin at ordinary extraordinary has a nice post on Zen and therapy. While he doesn't frame the post in integral language, some of what he is looking at is the drive in the West to evolve Buddhism away from magical thinking and mythic beliefs and into a more secular and rational spiritual path not unlike some forms of Western pyschology.

~ The Zero Boss sings the praises of George Carlin, one of the funniest men (along with Richard Pryor) from my mispent youth. As you might guess, this post contains some foul language. Jay also has a fine post on bigotry and censorship.

~ Kevin Beck of Transmillennial has a new post up at Presence on his process following the discovery of a lump.

~ Mike at Unknowing Mind offers a post on the Buddha as doctor. In essence, Mike is providing a brief introduction to the Four Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path. Check it out.

~ For Wilco fans (and who isn't?), The Daily Goose has posted three YouTube clips. You can see them here(I'm a Wheel), here (At Least That's What you Said), and here (Ashes of American Flags).

~ M Alan Kazlev at Integral Transformation offers a new post on Meta-states of Consciousness - a preliminary paradigm. His formulations are based in part on the Integral Yoga of Sri Aurobindo and The Mother, and partly on Western philosophy. I'm not sure what to make of his work because I honestly haven't given it a lot of time. So I'll be curious to see what the rest of the integral community thinks.

~ There is an interesting discussion of holons and AQAL going on over at Open Integral. Check it out.

~ Ray Harris has some thoughts on consciousness that he has posted at Open Integral. I just have to say that this site is getting better and better.

~ Laura at a mindful distraction has a post about her feelings after watching A Clockwork Orange. I think she failed to understand that Burgess was warning us against the use of mass behavioral modification techniques. He has since rejected the book as the worst thing he has ever written. Nothing like a good dose of conversion to mainstream religion to dissolve the Green meme.

~ P2P Foundation reviews a book called The World Cafe, which offers some guidance on how to organize a conversation cafe -- one of the hottest trends from a couple of years back.

~ Check out the Roundup at Blogmandu for many gems I've missed here.

~ Pema Chodron was on Faith & Reason with Bill Moyers last night. I missed it. But you can watch it on the website. Thanks to Amadeus at Dharma Vision for the reminder.

~ Ray Harris (again) at Open Integral took issue with a comment I made in a previous post. So he is condemning a point of view I never held. I explain my point in the comments. Did you follow all that?

~ Charles Haltonn at Change This offers his manifesto on Never the Same: How to Create Transformational Experiences. He offers 18 characteristics to create a transformational experience.

~ Image of the day is from Shakespeare's Sister.


Okay, that's enough for this morning. I didn't have the patience to read any of the political stuff today, so you're on your own for that. Have a great Saturday.



3 comments:

Mike said...

I MythTV'd (i.e. TiVO'd) Pema Chodron, and I'm really looking forward to watching that! From my readings and listenings (iPods are the greatest thing) to her, she seems very down to earth, very knowledgeable, and compassionate.

Anonymous said...

I think you must have read what I wrote very quickly. I clearly understood that Burgess/the film was warning us against the use of behavior modification techniques. I wrote that we had been taught these techniques in education psychology and that I was not a fan of them in parenting or teaching. I concluded my comments by saying that the film would be especially dangerous for those who had been raised on behavior modification - which is almost anyone who has attended American public schools and likely most European ones as well.

Not sure what the comment about a conversion to mainstream religion is about - were you referring to me? And if so, why?

william harryman said...

Laura, I apologize for misreading you -- I do sometimes skim too quickly.

The conversion comment was about Burgess, who became an Anglican a while back and totally disowned A Clockwork Orange. After his conversion he felt that ACO was a horrible book.

Again, I apologize for the misread.

Peace,
Bill