Thursday, May 17, 2007

Appreciating Each Other


This is inspired by a post at The Art of Intimacy.

"The deepest principle of human nature is the craving to be appreciated."
~ William James

I think this is very true, especially in relationships. How often do we take our partners for granted? How often do we fail to consider their feelings, leaving them feeling ignored and discounted?

These are sure ways to destroy love.

But how simple it is to show our appreciation. It doesn't need to be extravagant -- it can be as simple as a hug and a tender word. Sometimes it means stopping for a moment to consider how the other person might feel, but with a little practice it gets easier and easier to do this.

I've been horrible at this in the past -- and I learned my lessons the hard way -- through loss.

But I did learn. If things work out eventually in my present situation, she will never be able to doubt that she is loved and appreciated. She will always know that I value her as a person and a partner.

The most profound things can be so simple.


No comments: