Saturday, October 06, 2007

Daily Dharma: Knowing What to Do

Daily Dharma from Tricycle:

Knowing What to Do

I like that the point of convergence of liberation theology, Islamic mysticism, and engaged Buddhism is the sense of love that leads to commitment and involvement with the world, and not a turning-away from the world. A form of wisdom that I strive for is the ability to know what is needed at a given moment in time. When do I need to reside in that location of stillness and contemplation, and when do I need to get up off my ass and do whatever is needed to be done in terms of physical work, or engagement with others, or confrontation with others? I'm not interested in ranking one type of action over the other.

~ bell hooks, Tricycle: The Buddhist Review Fall 1992 (Vol. II, #1); From Everyday Mind, edited by Jean Smith, a Tricycle book


No comments: