Sunday, March 02, 2008

2008 TED Prize Winners

Robb Smith has been blogging this year's TED gathering, but I wanted to add that the three winners of the annual TED Prize have been announced -- a diverse and deserving selection.

The links will take you to their TED page.

Neil Turok - Cosmologist and education activist

Dave Eggers - Author, philanthropist and literary entrepreneur

Karen Armstrong - Authority on comparative religions

I know very little about Turok, but I have been following Eggers since he first came onto the scene back in the early 1990s. I used to think he was a bit full of himself, but over the years I have seen what he has tried to do as a philanthropist and have been very impressed.

I've been a huge fan of Karen Armstrong ever since her first book, back in the 1980s I believe. A History of God should be required reading for all Jews, Christians, and Muslims.

Here is their announcement of the winners:

The TED Prize was created as a way of taking the inspiration, ideas and resources that are generated at TED and using them to make a difference. Although the winners receive a prize of $100,000 each, that's the least of what they get. The real prize is that they are granted a WISH. A wish to change the world.

Watch the video.


No comments: