Friday, May 22, 2009

Buddhism without Beliefs: A Documentary about Stephen Batchelor (Boeddhistische Omroep Stichtung)

Found this courtesy of The Reverend Danny Fisher over at his excellent blog. Stephen Batchelor expresses some of how I feel about a post-modern Buddhism, and his book with the same title as this documentary his highly recommended (by me, though not likely too many other Buddhists).
Thirty minute documentary on Stephen's work. Broadcasted on national television in Holland on 20 April, 2008 as "Boeddhisme Zonder Geloof" ("Buddhism Without Beliefs"). It is in English with Dutch subtitles. It was made by Jurgen Gude and Jaap Verhoeven for the Boeddhistische Omroep Stichtung (BOS). The first independent Buddhist Broadcasting Foundation in the West to produce and broadcast Buddhist programmes within a countrys Public Broadcasting System.









2 comments:

Jamnjazzz said...

"and his book with the same title as this documentary his highly recommended (by me, though not likely too many other Buddhists)."Just wanted to say that this was the first Buddhist book I encountered and the very book that drew me to Buddhism. Without it, I would never have discovered the Four Noble Truths or Eightfold path.

After reading Buddhism Without Beliefs, and rereading it many times, it was quite clear that many of the basics tenets of Buddhism were already present in my nature and approach to life. In many ways I was quite sad that I only found Buddhism (relatively) later in life.

Although it is also nice to know that many of my world and life views, that were happened upon independently, were actually found to be important and beneficial to one's life and existence almost 2500 years ago.

Anonymous said...

Everything by the Boeddhistische Omroep is great (to me). Check out their archives at http://www.buddhistmedia.com/uitzendingList.aspx?lIntType=0
I deeply respect Stephen Batchelor for his revolutionary work.
Love,
Luc